Thursday, November 4, 2010

Halloween - The Shadow of Your Smile and Dorothy on the 'bone at Dahlak Bar

So I had to get out of the neighborhood to escape the kiddies and my crazy neighbor and decided to listen to some Sunday jazz. I had way too much time on my hands, so I took the long route to a bar that was having a jam session. On the way there, I ran into this...I don't know what this is but it looks very holy. The weird thing was that they are playing "The Shadow of Your Smile."










In any event, I was thinking how much DC is becoming like NYC jazz wise. Though I am never at a loss for a-list players making their way to DC on Fridays and Saturdays, now people are playing jazz everyday of the week in a lot of different venues. Which brought me to this, a session at Dahlak @ 1771 U St. NW. I'm not sure who these musicians are, but am pretty convinced that the trombone player is Dorothy from the looks of her ruby shoes.